Saturday, January 24, 2015

My best of 2014 music

Similar to last year, this year has quite a pop feel and many tracks get regular airplay on Indie88.  


  • Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - In the Heat of the Moment - lead track from new album due April 2015; tickets purchased for TO gig
  • Fitz & The Tantrums - The Walker - catchiest whistle hook of the year
  • Kongos - Come With Me - perfect odd mix of sounds; Rio find
  • Sam Smith - Stay With me - mega hit that cannot be ignored
  • U2 - The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) - best guitar riff of the year; and it's free
  • The Fratellis - She's Not Gone Yet But She's Leaving - another catchy track from Scottish brothers
  • Hozier - Take Me to Church - powerful and serious, incl. the video
  • Mark Ronson w/ Bruno Mars - Uptown Funk - irresistible, best moves, especially the back up guys, even better live on SNL if you can find it
  • Kasabian - Eez-Eh - best live act in the world (voted by me and Q Mag)
  • Luluc - Small Window - "flying over Chicago" with headphones is just too lovely a song
  • Jeff Eager - Thanks for the Music - local talent, playing my 50th birthday party; we've got to get you a video man
  • Pharrell Williams - Happy - just think of Gru and you're gotta smile
  • Elbow - New York Morning - heard a lot of them last year
  • Paolo Nutini - Let Me Down Easy - soulful stuff from the wee Scot
  • Vance Joy - Riptide - love the line "closest thing to Michelle Pfeiffer that you've ever seen"
  • Damian Jurado - Silver Timothy - personal recommendation from I don't recall; I want to go to the desert; 60's vibe
  • Billy Crudup - Home - yes, the actor, from the movie Rudderless (still to be seen)
  • Thievery Corporation w/ Lou Lou Ghelichkhani - Firelight - blissful from my electronica fave
  • Chromeo - Jealous (I ain't with it) - guilty pleasure track
  • Passenger - Heart's on Fire - funny voice, but I love it

I collected them all in a YouTube playlist, but surprisingly, I hadn't seen quite a few of the videos.

3 seen in concert, an unproportional number of Scots, 1 Canadian (friend) and most genres covered.

No comments: