Wednesday, January 08, 2020

Movie review: 1917

I saw this at the “legacy” Manulife cinema (I later found out that the movie was in preview only and isn’t officially officially released until Jan 10 here in Canada) a few hours before the Golden Globe Awards.  I try to see some of the nominated films ahead of the awards and will be adding a few more (The Irishman) ahead of the Oscars.

1917 lived up to the billing of a high-action, stressful, cinematic masterpiece, but for me, that was about it.  The screenplay was ok and the acting good, but to me it fell way short of some of the wonderful films of the last 12 months in originality, screenwriting and wow factor. I’m sure it deserves it’s fair share of technical awards, but I didn’t think it deserved the best drama movie at the Golden Globes.

7/10

No comments: