Monday, January 06, 2020

Favourite TV shows from 2019, plus deeper look into the past decade

Digging up this one that was drafted back in July - no way I can deliver on its title, but after the Golden Globes, there’s a few clear additions.  The original title was “ Emmy triggered thoughts and reviews of favourite TV shows EVER”.

The 2019 Emmy Award nominations were announced this week and I was pleased to see a few of my favourite get nominations (and pleased more were nominated for Golden Globes).  I also used it to consider the nominations are tips for future viewing and in fact for that very reason, I watched a few episodes of Schitts Creek while having dinner.  Funny, but not Modern Family funny (and now enjoying something a little similar and a recommendation from my daughter - Life in Pieces).

This also gives me a chance to comment on the state of TV in 2019 (and 2020) - if we can actually call it TV these days (Wikipedia appears to include "television signals...via the internet").  I believe that when TV was first introduced, as long as you had a TV set and were in the vicinity and range of the over-the-air signal, then you could watch a TV program.  Today, that is a very different situation and only 1 of the 8 nominations for best drama series is on "regular" TV.  All the others require the viewer to pay for a premium channel and in some cases, may not be able to see the show at all if the channel is exclusive to the US market.  I believe that even though you may not have access to a particular channel, most, if not all, shows should be available for purchase via iTunes or your favourite video purchase platform.

Although I do watch quite a lot of TV (and movies), I perhaps watch only half of the nominated shows.

So without further ado, may I have the envelop please - favourite PJMixer shows this past year that are also nominated for an Emmy (and some for a Golden Globe):
  • Bandersnatch (Netflix, Black Mirror TV movie) - a new interactive TV experience that's worth the setup
  • Bodyguard (Netflix) - intense and surprising
  • Fleabag (Prime Video) - incredibly funny and edgy, but also deeper than you'd think
  • Ozark (Netflix) - not one likable character, but you're kind of still rooting for them, especially Ruth
  • Russian Doll (Netflix) - mind bending fun with great soundtrack
  • The Daily Show with Trevor Noah - yes, too much Trump, but so well written
  • The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Prime Video) - superb writing, pacing and cast
Favourite PJMixer shows this year that are not nominated for an Emmy or are just older/newer shows that may not qualify
  • The Umbrella Academy - lots of wacky superhero fun with a killer soundtrack
  • Formula 1 - Drive to Survive (Netflix) - supposedly making new F1 fans in the US - super, alternate video content, amazing sound, but most importantly, great behind the scenes stories of the drivers, the team, the history.  And yes, they’re finishing up season 2 for the 2019 F1 season.
Adding newer ones since this was first drafted...
  • The Morning Show (Apple TV+) - massive cast delivers the goods, modern story and complex characters
  • For All Mankind (Apple TV+) - fun alternative history space action drama
Where does one start with best TV shows EVER, maybe let’s narrow this down to the past decade.  Of the shows above, I think it’s include The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, especially since it’s one I share with my wife.  Others that shouldn’t really need much explanation:
  • Breaking Bad (2008-2013) - some work to get into it, but once onboard I loved the ride.
  • Mad Men (2007-2015) - yes, awkward at times, but superb period piece with gobs of style and humour
  • Black Mirror (since 2011) - the one some people still haven’t heard of - highly recommended creations of never future tech mostly going wrong, some episodes much better than others - please do NOT watch season 1 episode 1 first
  • Downtown Abbey (2010-2015) - say no more
  • Modern Family (since 2009) - keeps my laughing (with my daughter)
  • House (2004-2012) - so much to love, but mostly the complexity of House
  • Entourage (2004-2011) - guilty pleasure
Stay tuned on this one as I’m sure I’ll think of a few others as soon as I turn in for the night.

I did find an older post that includes some of the above with even older shows too - Television.









No comments: