Monday, January 06, 2020

NFL (playoffs) - wacky imagery and favourites

Drafted this a few weeks ago, so I had to make a few edits now the playoffs are mapped out.

One of the things I like about American football is that there isn’t many games in the season.  One of the things I really dislike about American football is how long a single game lasts and how little action there truly is in a single game.  I went to high school in Windsor, Ontario (Canada) across the river from Detroit and since we don’t have an NFL team in Toronto (my current home), I am a Detroit Lions fan (perhaps supporter is a better word). I’d argue that the Lions are an exciting team to watch and had more than their fair share of tight losses this season.

So, now we’re close to the NFL playoffs.  I kind of appreciate the safety of watching sports without rooting for a favourite, but it’s just not the same.  You need to invest a little in the game to feel something.   So with the Lions eliminated some weeks ago, who do I cheer for?  For me, there has to be some connection with a team.  Perhaps a place you’ve visited and met the love of your life (high stakes), or a place where you always feel at home, or from where you know friends or colleagues.  But please don’t say it’s the colour of the jerseys.

So, the way I see it:
  • Green Bay Packers - Lions division revivals and a city I I’ve never been to.  Awful colours and cheese theme.
  • Baltimore Ravens - never been to he city, curious perhaps about living under a stigma of street violence.
  • Minnesota Vikings - like the city with odd downtown hamster above-ground tunnels for winter comfort but another Lions division rival.  Dodgy colours.
  • Houston Texans.  I’ve spent a little business time in Houston over the last few years and I prefer it to Dallas, but can’t relate to their football team.  Remind me, why aren’t they the Oilers?
  • Tennessee Titans - based in Nashville, which I love and I’ve seen the stadium from the river, but can’t relate to their team.
  • Kansas City Chiefs - weird airport but good BBQ (including the airport).  I’ve been to KC on numerous biz trips and always feel I smell of a BBQ when I leave.  But I am friends with a ex-colleague who is one of the good guys.  Their QB is young and cocky and I kind of like that.
  • San Francisco 49ers - they play at Levi’s Stadium (where I’ve had a guided tour) and is walking distance from our Santa Clara office.  An old work friend has season tickets (but complains it’s too hot).
  • Seattle Seahawks - the Lynch comeback story, one of my most viewed photos on Flickr, but most importantly, my daughter’s boyfriend’s favourite team.



No comments: