Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Creative Grumpiness

I'm a little down these days. Maybe it's the cold weather delay of Spring, or my nagging arm injury (and concerns about sports in the upcoming months), or more dietary changes, or the lack of sleep and routine, or my Dad's health, or the economic woes effecting the globe. I guess it's all those things put together. Sidebar on health - maybe it's my age, but it seems that each successive issue I have these days has a much bigger impact on me than it used to do, I'm finding that just one ailment can easily effect me, combine a few and drag it on for weeks and months, and I'm not myself.

I've heard that musicians and maybe writers, find it therapeutic to channel their negativity through their art. We all know that there have been some great songs written my rejected lovers, or in memory of family deaths or reflecting on troubled times.


But what about photography (the art form I perhaps can partake in) ? Apart from the photo journalism reality of reporting on the nasty news of the day, I'm not one to look for depressing photographs. But maybe this is a neglected field.


Maybe I'll snap a few shots on the Blackberry at lunch or bring the DSLR out tomorrow and shoot some shots of road work, dirt and grime, ugly construction sites, garbage and litter. But how could that make me feel better ? I don't know, maybe I'll feel better with a few days of warmer weather, an extra hit of ibuprofen for my arm and a overdue pint.


Hope you're having a better day.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there bud. I'll be looking for a jovial evening at Chez Sewell before mid May.

Stv

Suzanne Sewell said...

Hope your day improved just from writing the blog, but if it didn't...how about writing some lyrics (you do have a way with words)... and I could try to compose a melody (or you could hum it and I could play it)

Or needing a bit less effort, "♬ you sing a sad song, just to turn it around...♬"..or listen to a little Glasvegas and you'll see that you really have a Wonderful Life (or watch the movie, even if it's not Christmas time).
♥x

PJMixer said...

"it's like sometimes you feel alone, but there's always someone on the phone

Asking how you are, but not really hearing your mood - not on par

then they have their own lives and questions, so you listen, give your best, and lock away your emotions

because, sometimes you need to say you're down and and a little low, so loves can raise a smile and let the sun glow"

Suzanne Sewell said...

OMGosh!! Absolutely beautiful... love love love them!

You don't really expect me to compose a melody for those do you? I couldn't do them justice.
(but I'll probably secretly try)

Kelly said...

Love the poetry/lyrics. Trust you are hanging in & working towards brighter days.

Richard Sewell said...

Such a great topic bro, one I have never really resolved myself. I always wondered if being a relatively normal person made my art suffer. I did do a series of paintings inspired by a difficult break-up, but they ended up being clumsy and trite at the end of the day. I have had better luck writing in tough times and feel far more concise and clear with my thoughts, but it never brought me peace.

Although Rothko did his best work a year before his suicide, and Piccaso's Blue Period is arguably his greatest body of work, I have to believe something far greater drove their talent other than depression.

If not, what the hell am I to do?

Regardless, hope you are having a better day.

Love ya,

-Dick

PJMixer said...

On the way home on Tuesday I was listening to some new Madeleine Peyroux on my iPod when her new song "Instead" come on...

"Instead of feeling bad
be glad...
you've got somewhere to go

Instead of feeling sad
be happy you're not all alone

Instead of feeling low...
get high on everything you love

Instead of wasting time
feel good 'bout what you're dreaming of"

That helped reset my moody a little. Since then I've got out a taken some photos (see Flickr) and heard from good friends. Work pressures have eased a little this afternoon, so chin up, sunny skies and weekend plans await.

Anonymous said...

That brought tears to my eyes (your lyrics too). I was going to suggest you listen to Radiohead "In Rainbows" when taking your pix - I find it to be inspiring music, but I guess it brings some people down...they bring me up, up UP!! It's such a beautiful album. (but yeah, haunting too) I LOVE the Madeleine lyrics too.

Sending you lots of smiles
:o)
:o)
:o)
Syl
:o)
:o)
:o)