Monday, September 21, 2009

How useful are social networking websites for finding answers ?

Today, I'm going to start a test to determine if social networking websites like Twitter and Facebook can actually be a useful tools for finding answers to your many questions (and I know you have lots). Many of us Twitter and Facebook users typically send out statements on what we're doing or how we're feeling and like when we get a comment back. However, I don't think many people post questions. I definitely sprinkle questions here into my blog and occasionally get some answers, but generally speaking I don't think we're getting the most out of our investment into web 2.0. Many people still go with the web 1.0 route when looking for answers, such as highest rated products, cheapest prices, best local restaurants, music reviews and concerts listings. The latest tools in web 2.0 offer an array of clever ways of creating ever widening social networks, so why not leverage those networks a little more ? I'd go out on a limb and say that more people like to answer questions and provide their suggestions and recommendations than simply post of comment about their thoughts. Perhaps this way, people can participate in web 2.0 networks without feeling they are bragging or telling the world useless bits of personal information ! I'll prefix my Twitter and Facebook questions with QOTD - question of the day, and see what I get back.

2 comments:

Suzanne Sewell said...

The number of followers and friends will determine the quantity (and perhaps quality) of answers received. I see people who have lots of followers ask questions and get good answers...but I don't think Twitter or FB would be better than the traditional way of getting answers...I'll be interested to see what you find.

Obviously 1st question wasn't Suze friendly...so no response from me ;-)

Eco said...

Also, you have to make the question shorter... 8)