Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Happy early birthday Mom

My Mom is in town for the theatre and as I won't be with her to celebrate her birthday in a few days, I took her shopping with a stop in Yorkville for a little lunch and some people watching. I walked across the street to capture a telephoto pseudo-paparazzi shot and caught her as the wind picked up and messed with her hair. We had a lovely time and I think the shot captures her youthful looks and attitude.

I had a few challenges with this shot and keeping it "in-camera". The shot was a little overexposed and Nikon's D-Lighting feature couldn't help. Although I "trimmed" the shot in camera I still wanted to capture a full length shot of my Mom, but my backpack was rather distracting as it is bright red. Nikon's in-camera monochrome conversion to sepia came to the rescue. It got rid of my red backpack distraction and it seemed to help slightly with the exposure (although I know that's not possible, but it "appears" to have helped perhaps by some subtle sepia contrast effect).

No comments: