Thursday, September 22, 2011

Russell

Via Flickr:
After work, I decided to walk South to Queen station and see if there were any interesting people to photograph on the street. I spotted this young guy hanging out close to where Shadow was set up playing some blues. His street fashion, including his tartan trousers caught my eye. I told him he looked interesting and that I was a street photographer, mentioning my 100 stranger project. I gave him my card and asked for a photo. He immediately jumped to the job (admitting he'd done some fashion modelling in the past). I took a few shots and he was really patient as I looked for different looks and angles. We talked a little and I told him to email me - maybe I'll need a model in the future !

Russell was waiting for a friend, he's a skateboarder and model. He's lived all across Ontario and now calls Toronto home. He's 22 years old, finished school and takes on whatever life presents him. I think this shot shows how comfortable he is in his life and in front of the camera.

I shot this with my 50mm/1.8 and got in nice and close. Afterwards, I was thinking a wider angle shot would have been nice to add context but I'm really pleased with the portrait.

Russell is #100 in my 100 strangers project. Find out more about the project and see pictures taken by other photographers at www.100Strangers.com.

No comments: