Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Movie reviews - January 2012



    Rise of the Planet of the Apes

    Great prequel premise and story line, but I couldn't really get past the CG apes - their expressions weren't convincing to me. However, pretty entertaining and rather scary at times.
    The Tree of Life
    Very unusual film - full on art film with very sparse story and dialog. Very difficult to get into, but once I began absorbing the mood and visuals, I was glued. Superb acting, especially from the youngsters and beautiful cinematography. Definitely not for everyone but was pretty special in my book.
    The Dilemma
    The Dilemma (2011)
    Hard to categorize this one, serious plot and emotions, but lots of Vaughn driven humour. Perfect casting: Vaughn prime; James showing some depth; Queen Latifah rock solid and Ryder the evil villain. Lots of awkward moments through a cleverly crafted plot, but Vaughn banter was irresistible.
    The Green Hornet
    Very silly, but Rogen's humour was contagious and the car and effects were awesome. Christoph Waltz was superb (again) and added a full star to my rating.

No comments: