Thursday, March 10, 2022

I'm a wide angle kind of guy

I gravitate to taking photos with a focal length (cropped sensor) from super wide (10mm) to 18mm.  I know because I checked (in Lightroom) and I wanted it to be wide.     

The world is a big place and I like to take it all in (portraits of people and isolated action may be an exception).  


The new lens I have me eye on is the latest Fujinon 18mm f1.4. The focal range should optically reduce the shallow depth of field effects of such a wide aperture and closing down a few stops to its ideal sweet spot may strike a magical balance of speed (light) and a pleasing depth of field.   What does it say about my view of the world where I’m drawn to a wide field of view but also have a feeling that a more focused subject may be valuable?


I often feel I’m somewhat of a polymath and feel torn trying to decide my favourite style of photography or even giving preference to a specific domain where I feel I contribute the most.   


I wrote these words:


Drawn to the world that is wide

Less corner places to hide


more to see in the city frame

Even glimpses of an old flame


big-time performance stages

tempting blank white pages


All that it could contain

Way beyond memory lane


A soft focal point of thought

Specialization of some sort


Something new emerges over there

Even more tempting things to share


Pivot to the next wide urban shot

Seems this story repeats quite a lot


Landscapes require more depth of field

Fuzzy Patterns becoming less congealed 


To form a representation of life

A Polymath understanding its strife


And then put them in a video:






No comments: