Thursday, June 22, 2006

Time (or maybe not)

Unfortunately, Mick's words are not on my side...

Finding time to write some thoughts and ideas on this blog is becoming increasingly difficult. I feel guilty just typing these few words tonight when so many other things of apparent higher priority are tugging on my time. Hold on mate, you say, PJ's always talking about movies, and sports and such. Where does he find the time to watch a two hour movie ?


So maybe time isn't really the problem. I admittingly (sp) do veg if front of the boob tube
(hopefully to be a plasma one day) on a regular basis. However, for me, this is when I get to switch off, detach from the problems and pressures of the day. [Strangely enough, I seem to be drawn to the complex (and stressful) lives of fictional characters !] So I guess I scientifically do have the time to jam more into my life and write more in this blog. But in the words of Mr. Bush, it's hard. I think I have a max of say 14 hours of brain power a day. Taking an average of about 7 1/2 hours of beauty sleep, that leaves 2 1/2 hours of the day that I think I need to just shut off for a while. So watching sports, TV or movies during evenings of the work week fits very conveniently, thank you very much. BUT, what about all the other stuff that's not getting done and any additional evening work load that eats into that down time and inevitably creates some undue pressure, crankiness and drags out whatever energy I have in reserve. I make it a pretty strong rule, that I don't do work on weekends. That slips now and again, but typically I have a few evenings a week when I'm doing work work. All that other stuff, personal finances, housework...maybe that's all...so why am I complaining ? I've got lots of time to take for myself !

There are other activities that are good for the non-brainy time of the day. E.g., doing the dishes, low stress, a resulting sense of accomplishment, getting spousal points,
and you can watch TV (mind you, really mindless TV) at the same time !! Same can be said for yard work, cleaning bathrooms (with the stereo blasting of course) and talking with your wife.

Which brings us to some trouble areas. Times of the day (or weekend) when your (or maybe just my) brain is really begging for a little R&R and you're committed to a brain intensive activity, like say, making lumber calculations for the latest outdoor project or doing your taxes, or helping your so with his creative science project. Or even the situation when really important things plague and pollute your waking thoughts ! This is when things can go wrong, tempers flair, headaches settle in, hammers hit thumbs instead of nails and you get crappy night's sleep.


Not sure what to make of this analysis, is it just me ? Maybe I need to cut back,
somewhere ? Gotta get to those 989 emails in my inbox that need sorting (btw best sorting technique I've found so far, file based on sender first, then by subject).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

re: why?

I don't think there's an answer, but like you, I'd like to think that if I search/ponder enough - it will come. Like a flash.

I'd like it to be real simple to manage, the kind of thing that you can pay for yearly be subscription - hang on a minute - I'm talking about drugs and they don't work.

I haven't done too much searchin', but "it's life, don't worry about it - enjoy the ride" is as close I've got.

I got some direction on this from an unlikely source.

I've been getting some treatment for a minor back injury of late. And after finishing a session of treatment, my physio (not one of the good looking ones) said "So, does that feel better". It didn't, but apparently that was a good sign. But I did venture to mention that having a back injury did cause me an element of mental and well as physical stress - you know - getting pissed off at not being able to play with the kids, help out around the house etc etc - kinda dragged me down. Anyhow, her indifferent response was (she must be mid-to-late 20's)- "..oh, you're just getting old".

This cut to the core, at least for a few hours. But, she was right. Is right. I am getting older. But you know something, so are a lot of other people. So it's okay.

Anonymous said...

bloody typical - spend some time being all thoughtful and screw up the physio link!

Attention to detail is the first thing to go!

Anonymous said...

Skip the plasma, pay to have your taxes done, and your lumber inventoried. Sitting in front of a small TV, basking in the fact that the "chores" are done, has to be far better then sitting in front of a bigger tv worrying about time management. But honestly, what do I know? I still believe I like being busy, I struggle doing nothing, but then complain about having no time... never satisfied!

And Pete hit the nail on the thumb... we're all getting older together, it's the world's biggest support group.... "hello, I'm Richard... and I'm old!"