Friday, February 02, 2007

#5 Who cares ?

Starting backwards. And it's a little easier because I can transcribe from my personal, neglected handwritten journal.

Once again, inspired by a movie, in this case When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts.

'Zan and I watched this recently and coming out of it I wondered "could this happen in Canada" (or for that matter any apparent caring country) ?

This HBO movie is about the aftermath of the Katrina hurricane.

I am lucky enough to have enjoyed the sheer pleasure of N'awlins on 3 occasions (maybe 4, but the intoxicating effect of the Big Easy is taking a toll) and I must say I'm a big fan.

But getting back to the plot...well just see the movie and I can save a lot of typing...

I'm sure that smaller scale stories of injustice [insurance companies] and examples of governments not caring occur all over the world.

The difference with Katrina is not economics (US-oil-Iraq), but when things go wrong the people who really care help out. And with smaller events, these people are not political leaders and very rarely biz execs. They are your family, your friends and your neighbours.

Can you really count on your government to help ?

But help out where you can when family, friends and neighbours need help and there will be someone there to help you one day.

It's sad to say, that in Nola there were no family, friends nor neighbours to help out because everyone was in it together.

No comments: