Wednesday, April 18, 2007

A sad day

Could there be a more opposite of themes for consecutive blog posts ? The magic of Disney to the horrific reality of the troubles in the world today. I had debated on delaying the Disney piece and not post on the day after the Virginia Tech tragedy, and wondered what feelings should be the first viewed by regular readers. Perhaps this is the logical sequence. A short lived magical moment cut short by horrors of the modern world. How can you escape back to magical places of peace when your mind is troubled by the craziness in the world or fumbling in the dark for some explanations for what is happening today.

I think it's hard to avoid but one thing struck me as soon as the media learnt the identity of the shooter, he was immediately referred to by his race, Asian. Later on, more details became available - he was from South Korea. A legal resident in the US.


Still puzzling on why this is sticking with me. What does it say about the way we understand and feel towards one another ?


The international media focused very quickly on gun control in the US. I don't think I've heard or read a US news source even mention this yet. The US focus seems to be on the poor security measures at the school.


Will a few days distance on this latest tragedy open up a few more minds to the reasons why a person can so easily end the lives of 32 other people. Isn't there some low level genetic fibre that has hard coded the value of human life into everyone ? If not, maybe we should design and build one.

These are some of my first thoughts I've assembed today and written down. Probably a little raw, but typically the most honest !

2 comments:

Richard Sewell said...

Hey Bro.

As you can imagine I have so much to say. Making this far more difficult is the fact that a good friend of ours knew one of the victims, who was among 5 from this area, as well as the shooter who went to high school 5 miles from my shop.

As an ex-professor the reality hit home pretty hard, but as a volunteer member of the american public I am left feeling shame, outrage, disgust, sorrow, and deep concern for this country. Not since 911 have I felt such a need to act, and a desire to protest.

This once great nation has slowly slipped into disgrace becoming the most dangerous place to live in the world.

Often defenders of the greater good, America as a world occupant has functioned countless times as a restorer of human rights abroad. But American citizens must now face the fact that these basic and necessary rights are being erased within our own borders.

The NRA headquaters is down the road from me, and I seem to be bombarded with the opinions of these gun toting ignorant cowboys daily. Since when does the right to bare arms supersede the universal Human Right to live free and safe? Something must change!

I am currently writing a letter which I intend to send to all the major newspapers. Perhaps for no reason other then to vent, but it is a start.

However, even in the wake of such a tradgedy I still found reasons to love this country as those closest to the events conducted themselves with support, love, and respect for one another.

I have included a link to a great article in USATODAY from Tuesday bringing into the question the gun laws.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-04-17-virginia-tech-world_N.htm?POE=click-refer

Richard

PS. I loved your last paragraph by the way, beautifully said!

PJMixer said...

Great writing again bro. Unforuntalely the link got cut off I think. Email to me and I'll include as a link here.