Sunday, January 27, 2008

Best albums of 2007 (by request)

A quick summary of top 10 albums of 2007. I'll start with actual CDs I purchased...

Feist - The Reminder
. She's been on lots of best ofs and deservedly so. A few too many quiet numbers, but lovely variety and catchy tracks. Selected tracks: I'm sorry; I feel it all; My moon my man; Sea Lion woman; 1 2 3 4.


Justin Nozuka - Holly
. Local Toronto Kid with lots of maturity in his singer songwriter lyrics. Great live show at the Mod Club. Selected tracks: Down in a cold dirty well; Golden train; Be back soon; After tonight.


Champion - Chill 'em all
. This album dates back quit a while but I bought it in 2007 and everything else of his since them, including latest DVD. Show of the year for me at Lee's. Selected tracks: No heaven; Tavern; Tawoumga; Keep on; The plow.


Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare
. Not as good as the opener, but still lots of good stuff and fab live. Selected tracks: 505; Old yellow bricks; Do me a favour; Fluorescent adolescent; Teddy picker.


Now on to standout albums from which I downloaded multiple tracks:


Manic Street Preachers - Send away the tigers
. Fantastic tracks, warm, emotional sing-alongs. Selected tracks: Autumnsong; Indian summer; Your love alone is not enough.


Hard-Fi - One upon a time in the west
. Sophomore album, more polish, still great heart and energy. Selected tracks: Little angel; We need love; I can't get along; Tonight; Suburban knight; Watch me fall apart.


Reverend and the Makers - The state of things
. Lots of dancin' cheeky fun. Selected tracks: Open your window; He said he loved me; Bandits; heavyweight Champion of the world.


Kaiser Chiefs - Your truly, angry mob
. Second album from Brit hit makers. Lots of great tracks, fun live show at Koolhaus and fantastic video for Ruby. Selected tracks: Love's not a competition (but I'm winning); Heat dies down; The angry mob; Ruby.


And finally album of the year:


The Enemy - We'll live and die in these towns
. Coventry (my home town) youngsters with a lot to say (well). Selected tracks: This song; You're not alone; Dancin' all night; Had enough; Fear killed he youth of our nation; Away from here.

Footnote - and a few that didn't quite make the top 10 but worth noting: Timbaland - Shock value; Amy Winehouse - Back to Black (cuz it was from 2006, but got tons of playtime in 2007); Mark Ronson - Version; Tiesto - In search of Sunrise (vol. 6). And a few more that were late finds: Band of Horses - Cease to begin; Robert Plant and Allison Krauss - Raising Sand; Seal - System.

No comments: