Thursday, October 15, 2009

Blog Action Day - Climate Change


www.blogactionday.org


I truly believe we have a big problem on our hands - global climate change.  I think it is everyone's problem, from Western governments to the Third World to you and me.  Although  I'm not an expert on how to solve the problem, I'm aware of it and consciously (or subconsciously) try to do my small part every day.


  • I take the subway to my downtown office
  • I prefer to take the subway when going out in the evenings and weekends
  • I often walk to customer meetings
  • I often ride my bike to locations within a couple of miles of home
  • I bring my own shopping bags to the store
  • I prefer not to use air conditioning
  • I collect items for safe disposal on city environmental days
  • I donate old clothes and household items to charities rather than throwing them out
  • I use refillable water containers
  • Under the right political circumstances, I think voting for the Green Party can make a statement

You could perhaps look at the following a few different ways (e.g. over packaging= clutter=waste/additional recycling, waste versus energy to recharge/recycle) , but I'll list them anyway:

  • I don't mow or water my lawn very often
  • I prefer to use cloth napkins rather than paper
  • I try to be as paperless as possible and use the computer for reading and note taking
  • I use rechargeable batteries
  • I buy digital music rather than CD's
  • I use CFL light bulbs in many parts of the home
 Make Green part of your everyday
Many little things from everyone can add up to a lot !

Polar bear side story: There are around 20,000 polar bears in the wild. However, scientists predict that, if current warming trends continue in the Arctic, two-thirds of the world's polar bears could disappear by 2050. Read more at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1218255/The-polar-bear-invited-dinner.html#ixzz0U1ZcQXNt

1 comment:

john R said...

Excellent. If only people were more mindful of their actions...