Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The Visitor

Is it just me ? Am I that much of a socialite ? Maybe I just prefer the company of others over my own.

You may know that I like to play the host - in my home and in my city. So I'm often puzzled/peeved with friends when I'm visiting their city and they don't seem to be keen on getting together.


I hope I don't offend a few readers here, but tonight is a good example. I think that I'd mentioned to quite a few *friends in Ottawa that I'd be in their fine city this week. But I find myself dining alone this evening. Don't get me wrong, I like the opportunity to go solo away from home on occasion. Tonight, I must say I'm a little disappointed (although it gives me an opportunity to write this blog post, and the food and service here at Empire Grill never disappoints). Can't be too hard on the Ottawa folks because I tried to connect with a few visiting Brits tonight as well - not sure if they were avoiding an ex-pat or I fell victim to transatlantic communication blues.
*work friends, that is. I sometimes feel like I'm being a real prat trying to drag them away from their families for a drink or dinner. Perhaps I'm overstepping that "work friend" line a little with people who I consider friends (having spent many hours talking about a vast array of topics and of course sharing a lotta laughs and a few drinks), but maybe I'm more of a work colleague/acquaintance to them.

But, give my US colleagues a lot of cred here, turns they returned the call almost immediately. Feel a little bit of a urban snob though, but didn't feel like hanging out in the West end !

Live updates...US colleague puts out dinner invite for tomorrow; Brit lad returns email (comm probs).
When it comes down to it, I guess I just like to be the centre on attention ! Wounded ego signing off.

Endnote: although this latest experience relates to the potential tenuous relationship one has with work friends or ex colleagues, I feel pretty bold here, so I feel I can extend this feeling to "other types of friends" !

1 comment:

PJMixer said...

I wrote this post a few days ago, but back dated it so it would fit chronologically.

Also wanted to add that I had a great social evening on the following night (Thursday, yesterday - am I confusing you with the time travel?). Played a little golf with a couple a great lads from work, then met up with the work gang for Sushi and beers in the market to past pumpkin time. Thanks everyone.