Sunday, June 10, 2007

The divide

People talk about the divide between people. Of course there is a divide, otherwise their wouldn't be news to report. I'm talking about the divide between couples.

As married folk, we start off with the belief that our relationships are one of compromise. Compromise must exist for a civil relationship, but I feel there is something else at play.


I feel as we get older, man and women start to figure out what they really want in life. They focus their likes and more importantly their dislikes. The 45 year old woman who says - I'm sorry, life's too short, I don't have time (or the body) to learn how to snowboard and I just don't care for horror movies and bourbon ! Have fun, count me out ! [male perspective talking here - but I'm sure there's a female one, including talks of Patrick Demsey and the latest he-said-she-said].


Some lucky buggers may never experience this. But others that do - it's important to recognize the inherent differences of each other and respect the wants, likes and passions of our loved ones. We need to recognize that sometimes that we are very different people who need quite different things out of life, who just happen to be in love together, and need one another to make it all worthwhile.

No comments: