Sunday, June 10, 2007

Very Zen

Repeat monotonous activity with a spiritual rhythm - that's my definition.

I think everyone needs to engage in a zen-like activity now and again.


I did some painting today. I don't mean deep abstracter art on canvas, but rather putting the 3rd coat of pure white behr on the new front steps. Very zen. Sometimes I set something like this up, with the big mug of coffee and the portable tunes, but I went au natural today - I even heard a sea gull overhead at one point.


The time goes by so fast but so much goes thru your mind as you're absorbed in a mundane physical activity. I think THEY talk about this in respect to Buddhist monks or the like - finding enlightenment from trivial, repetitious acts. The rhythm seems to let the mind catch the edge of a new idea or take a long surf into old ideas - refining deep thoughts and putting the world into perspective.


I thought perhaps that hobbies may recreate the same emotions, but I think it depends on the hobby.


A reason to do the dishes, mow the lawn or shine your shoes.

1 comment:

Richard Sewell said...

welcome to my job.....besides the hum of a power tool, I pretty much have to hear myself think all day... this gets rather annoying as I tend to be an annoying thinker.... Zen? Maybe! Dangerously close to completing that plan to overthrow the world..... absolutely!

-Dick