Friday, June 01, 2007

James versus Stanley

A couple of sports things of note.

I read in the paper yesterday that the estimated number of US viewers for game 1 of the Stanley Cup NHL Playoffs was just over a dismal 500,000 . Ouch. Bro - you have more mates than that don't you ?

I was trying to find the link to the specific story, but couldn't find it, but ran into all kinds of articles about NBC turning off the Buffalo Ottawa semi final overtime period in favour of a Preakness pre-show.

My take: the US are missing out on one of the most hard fought championships in global sport today. Fantastic athletes, fast action, huge drama and intensity.

I saw the 5th game of the NBA Cleveland Detroit semi final last night. I haven't been following this series too closely, but I picked a good one to watch (even though I didn't start watching until mid way thru the 4th quarter). Turns out the Cavs won after 2 overtime periods. The big story - the big man - LeBron James. "James' career playoff-high 48 points - including his team's final 25 and 29 of its final 30 - carried Cleveland within a win of the NBA finals for the first time in franchise history".

My take: I'm not a huge fan of seeing one player dominate in team sport, but this was just an incredible exhibition of athletics, drive, focus and passion. This guy is good. Jordan good ? If he can step up and win big when it counts and also make his team better, maybe. Worth watching for sure.

5 comments:

Richard Sewell said...

Hey Bro.

Yeah, it sucks for hockey here. The strike really killed the momentum it had built up. You don't read about it in the papers, barely see highlights on sport shows, and radio talents simply mock the pathetic numbers.

Unfortunately I don't see it changing soon, and ESPN has made no effort to pick up the contract again, so as long as the american public continue to watch professional miniature golf on TV over Hockey, I think the sport is doomed here.

More troubling is that this was predicted over and over during the strike, and yet the lock-out continued. Maybe in some ways the salary cap has made the sport more competitive, and the games more interesting, but if nobody is watching who really cares? If a tree falls.... blah blah blah. Unfortunately 2/3rds of the teams are based here in the US, and I am sure this probebly accounts for about the same percentage in revenue for the league. I just don't know how much longer this can continue without the NHL, or at least a large number of US franchises collapsing.

Yikes, did I really just say that?

On the flip side, game three saturday was one of the best games I seen in years!

-Dick

Anonymous said...

Hi

If there is a link to that professional miniature golf on TV - I'd love to see it!

Dink

PJMixer said...

I only saw the 3rd period of last night's game - but pretty entertaining stuff. I hope the Sens can pull one back and extend the good hockey for a few more nights.

Did you see Don Cherry on NBC in the 2nd intermission ? Talk about out-spoken ! Wow.

At least he's being honest about what he thinks. But I was thinking, he's probably right. Maybe not the percentages he's quoting, but a very large number of people would watch hockey for the fighting alone.

And what about the latest Pronger hit ? Cherry may have a point - why do the elbow pads (and probably other protective gear) have to be so large ?

p.s. I don't think any of this can be applied to miniature golf.

Anonymous said...

you can also see the clip on youtube...by searching Don Cherry NBC

PJMixer said...

More formal viewing stats. A little better than the numbers on told, but still disappointing. Plus a disappointing end to the series.