Friday, September 07, 2007

Is it just me ?

I've got one of those argh problems solved (coming up with my own solution), so I've got to get back to work, but before I do...

Is it just me or do I simply have a better memory for people's faces, or is the city just a cold hearted place where no one wants to appear friendly.


A few examples:
  • At Canada's Wonderland last weekend. I'm in a long line (solo) for Italian Job Stunt Track. It takes be perhaps 3 minutes to recognize a person I know in the group immediately in front of me. We're in line for about 45 minutes and he simply has no clue that he knows me. I actually thought I'd caught his eye for a sec and gave a friendly wave, but no connection. This was a customer who I'd presented to and met with on at least three occasions, but it was business, so I didn't actually feel like making small talk, but all the same, it would have been nice to say hello !
  • There's a dude in the neighbourhood who everyone knows as he's always hanging out talking with people and the like. Some people know him as the tanned guy that never seems to work. Anyway, I probably see him 3 days out of 5 walking to and from the subway. I made an effort a while ago to stop and introduce myself and find out a little bit more about him. Interesting guy, Keith his name is. So I continue to walk by this guy on a very regular basis and on occasion I make sure to say hello, but he never seems to remember me, what's up ? If he didn't want to meet people, he shouldn't hang out on the street and look so friendly !
  • Another neighbourhood one. The panhandlers. I give a few panhandlers a little change now and again (quite rarely, but sometimes, especially around Christmas time). Anyway, I've spent a few minutes with some of them, finding out a little more about them and being friendly. Now you'd think it would be in their best interest to remember the people that walk by them on a regular basis wouldn't you ? Apparently not. Their loss of hope in the world seems to have taken away the very thing that might help them out a little - a little common ground and polite awareness of their neighbours.
  • The subway and the walking businessman. This one is a little tricky and I can understand a personal preference to travel solo rather than having to make small talk with a neighbour. However, it's just nice to say hello if you see a neighbour on the street or on the subway. You don't have to share the an intimate subway ride for 30 mins, but at least you can be civil, pay attention to the people around you and say hello.
  • The guy in the street. Maybe I'm more observant than others or annoyingly friendly, but I like to bump into old acquaintances on the street. It makes the city feel smaller and more hospitable. But, I don't think I've been on the receiving end of a "oh, hello, haven't seen you in while" in quite some time.
So, if you're reading this, be a friendly citizen of your town and say hello to people (maybe even get to know and remember their name). I think most people would like that !

4 comments:

Richard Sewell said...

couldn't agree more... but I must admit I sometimes fear I have become that guy from "Groundhog day"... you know the one... The insurance dude "...am I right.. right right right.. right right?"

Good post bro... people can really suck sometimes... it's tough being so aware!

Cheers

-Dick

Anonymous said...

Agreement all 'round Cuzes.

Do you reckon we're talking 'bout metro-dwelling indifference and that it's different out-of-town?

I can cetainly vouch for the difference in London 'nods and keep walking' and Devon 'hello and stop to pass some time'. Having just come back from a week in the wonderful backwaters.

Give me Devon anyday. (I'm such a KITT fan).

PJMixer said...

KITT - keep it t.. ?

Yep, I think it could be different in the country.

It happened again this morning, at the crosswalk waiting for the light to change, I look to my right and there's the walking businessman I see on my street regularly - I don't know his name but I look right at him and was about to say hello - no clue !

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the very loose link, but here's my explanation...

Knight Rider starring David Hasselhoff. KITT was the car. KITT answered directly to Devon Miles.

Poor isn't it.