Friday, September 21, 2007

Political commentary

I haven't written about politics in a while but with the provincial elections next month and some interesting contentious topics, I thought I'd dabble.

One of the big topics is education. I'll try and net it out...Conservatives want to provide funding for religious based school; Liberals don't want to take money away from current public school funds. Most interesting aspect of this argument is that the Catholic school system is already included in the "public" system but few are really talking about this fact, although the editorial in the Post today did reflect on the hypocrisy because the Liberal leader's family went to Catholic school.

One thing that does become quite clear during election time is the political biases in the press. I read the National Post front pages this morning at home and then picked up the free Metro commuter paper on the subway. Trying to find some reference points here...how about the Post's election blog pages and today's editorials versus the Metro. Quite clear I think.

Another hot topic that came up with a business friend yesterday was the view of the world from the 905 (the greater Toronto area - GTA that surrounds the city of Toronto). I didn't want to argue too much, but definitely felt his animosity toward the big, dirty, money losing city I call home. I could perhaps go deep on this topic, but I'm not sure I have enough hard facts to fight off my Ontario readers who are not Torontonians. Yet.

Politics - trust - money - priorities - local representation - leadership - vision - reality.

Today I'm undecided.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

905 "generally" consists of newer infrastructure paid for by developers and populated at a very low density. As this infrastructure ages the maintenance and replacement costs will very quickly cause taxes to rise quite dramatically thus causing many of the municipal fiscal problems we currently see in toronto. As well, the social services provided in 905 are very limited as most in need head to where the services are already in place - downtown Toronto.