I've had a few blog notes on this topic tucked away for a while, but as it happens, there's been some related items in the news this week about the decline in tourist satisfaction when they visit this fine metropolis.
Here are a few tips on being an ambassador for your city.
- Know the facts, e.g. Toronto was originally called York and is 174 years old...
- Relate some special things that you won't find in the tour books
- Quote book, song and movie references for your city, e.g. Toronto without it's trees is like a hooker without her smile.
- Have some favourite city stories, e.g. the film set cleanup story
- Offer assistance to anyone who looks like they're in need of directions
- Provide good driving instructions, with efficient alternative routes
- Know best restaurants and bars in most areas of the city, e.g. Shoeless Joes on King West for Toronto FC pre-game pints...
- Provide a walking tour on demand
- Know which way you're facing at all times
- Support your local sports teams
- And most importantly, be proud of your city