Tuesday, January 05, 2010

2010 New Year's Resolutions

New Year's resolutions may be a little out of fashion these days, but they always say you should write down your personal goals and what better time than a fresh new year to do it.

  • Photography: take more photographs of my family.  I take tons of pictures, but I'd really like to capture some shots of my family that really shows their true selves (and that will be the challenge); continue with my daily photo blog - 365 in Camera (getting difficult to continue to find new subjects every day, but I'm looking hard); and add at least another 30 strangers to my 100 Strangers Flickr project.
  • Health: get back to my humble morning workout - some push-ups and some sit-ups - no big whoop, but every little bit helps this tired old body.  Yes, I'm still playing lots of sports (ultimate twice a week, shinny starting this week for a few months and a couple of runs with the dog/kids each week), and I intend to try and maintain a good amount of this for the year too.
  • Food: make sushi more often at home.  I love maki rolls, my daughter loves them and it's something we can do together.  It's healthy and not too difficult to make.  Ingredients and decent prep time tis all.  Add some new food and recipes to our home menu, don't need to necessarily stress healthy, just stuff that gets the whole family excited about dinner time ! 
  • Fun and games: play more board games with family and friends.  I love board games and whenever I can convince others to play, most end up really like playing, especially my son who said the other day he wants to play more often.  In today's age of constant audio/video bombardment , I find it refreshing to spend time with a board game and experience a little nostalgic throw back to simpler times.  The two big games that I constantly try and get people to play are Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne (I received a couple of expansion sets for Christmas).  
  • Work: stay on top of email (easier said than done); pick up the phone or meet face-to-face more often rather than relying too heavily on impersonal email correspondence; meet and socialize with more people in my shared office environment and create a less lonely work life; get a little more active thru Linkedin; and of course, make my quota.
  • Film: watch a movie with my wife once a month.  This is probably easy for most couples, but not for us.  I love movies, and so does my wife when she has the time, but finding something we both like and is worth our valuable time, can be a challenge.
  • Money: spend some money on the house.  The reward isn't as immediate as shiny somethings that plug-in, but our wonderful home deserves some loving updates.
  • Music: build some quality playlists from the huge amount of music in my collection; find more music a little further afield, incl. some more jazz, classical; get out and support local artists; continue to write on our music blog: in Tune in.
  • Family and friends: stay in touch with family and friends on all channels; get to know more of our kids' friends and their families; begin to document my family story - maybe a new blog, co-authored my my Mom, Dad and brother ?
  • Get back to writing this blog a little more regularly, I've missed the ramble and rant.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I've missed it too.