Friday, February 19, 2010

Imperfect passions

For a while now, I've been hearing talk about the importance of following your passions in life.  Or for those still a little lost or in a mid-life crisis, maybe truly discovering what your passion is.  We all know life is short and if you can spend a good chunk of time focused on what you love the most, then you're going to be happy puppy.  Furthermore, if you manage to devote your working life to your passion, then you're most likely to be better at your job and enjoy your working life much more than the average Johnny.


But what is a passion ?  Formally, in the context I'm referring to, it is: a strong or extravagant fondness, enthusiasm, or desire for anything: a passion for music; or the object of such a fondness or desire: Music became a passion with him.  Over some deep conversation over lunch at the pub with my wife today. I suggested that one way to think about what you are passionate about is if you have an afternoon off work and nothing else you have to do, what would you do ?  I would assume that a person with a passion would have no trouble saying they'd paint, or another person would say they'd play golf.  


But what if someone has many things they're enthusiastic about or have lots of activities they love doing ?  Is it fair to say they have many passions in life.  Are people who have more than one or many passions less passionate about any one of those passions.  I'm one of these people.


I love finding and listening to new music.  I'm enthusiastic about photography.  I really enjoy watching football and playing ultimate.  Skiing and golf are great days out and of course, I always want to travel more.


So I said to my wife, if I had an afternoon free, I'd probably do something I miss doing.  That could be one of my passions I've perhaps been neglecting or maybe just something a love to do that falls short of being a true passion.  Today, if I had the afternoon free, I'd go and see a movie.  Of course, some things require the right timing and preparation, but putting that aside to try and make a point, I'd choose a movie over listening to music or doing a photo project.  How can I then say I'm really passionate about photography or music if I'd consciously decide to do something else ?  So this worries be a little and chips away at those grandiose theorems about what makes us happy.  Would following my "passion" and becoming a professional photographer really make me happy.  What if I could listen to music all day, find new bands, promote concerts and festivals and  be able to see the best bands in the world on a regular basis.  Sounds perfect for me right ?  Maybe not.  Am I spreading myself too thin, not focused enough to really appreciate the things I love ?  Am I destined to flirt with a pocket full of passions.  Well, put that way, it sounds kind of nice.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm sure you've heard the term "renaissance man"? Just to give you one definition that I quickly looked up in Wiktionary - "a man with extraordinarily broad and comprehensive knowledge". As you noted at the end of your post, going through life with a pocket full of passions sounds like a pretty wonderful thing to me.

PJMixer said...

Quite the compliment Kelly, thank you. Interesting that the other term is "polymath" - much more geek sounding. I like Renaissance Man.