Saturday, July 24, 2010

Inception: Immediate reactions

Just saw Inception.  Incredible. 9.5/10.


Just poured a stiff drink (bourbon) to write some immediate thoughts and impressions, hopefully avoiding any spoilers for those that haven't seen it yet (which is likely a lot of people since it's only been out a week).

  • The kind of movie you want to analyze and talk about over drinks at a bar afterward.  I saw it solo tonight, so that's why I'm here writing this at home for you.  Although a good friend couldn't join me tonight (he suggested Sunday), I've already told him I'll go and see it again on Sunday.  There's hasn't been many movies in my life I've wanted to see again so quickly.
  • I don't think there's been many movies (and very few good movies) made about dreams before.  The one that sticks out is Vanilla Sky and that was a brilliant movie too.  But I don't think a movie's been able to capture the mystery of dreams, explain the fundamentals and take it to the scary depths that Inception does.
  • My brain hurts a little thinking about the movie, but at the same time I feel very alive and awake.
  • The movie paradoxically shows how the human mind can be more creative than Hollywood.
  • Fantastic casting with some great (relative) newcomers, solid acting and star power.
  • Just found out that Christopher Nolan also wrote and directed Memento, plus the latest round of Batman movies - very impressive portfolio and may have to see a few of his others as well.
  • The pacing and complexity of the plot is perfect.
  • There are many different levels and dimensions to this movie and it works so well, but also has so many ideas woven through it you can't help but want to hit the pause button.
  • It seems that the moviemakers have been very generous with their production dollars and jammed in so much content for us to savour.  Far less movies and even other good movies are told in 15 minutes in Inception.
  • If you read any deep reviews, spoilers and theories the movie possibilities become even more complex.
  • Do you have a totem ?
  • Enjoy.  Time for bed...and to dream.

No comments: