Saturday, October 16, 2010

Cataract Falls


Cataract Falls - #336/365, originally uploaded by PJMixer.
I've been planning on joining the Toronto Photo Walks group for one of their events for some time now, and finally managed to meet up with them as they explored the Cheltenham Badlands and the Forks of the Credit Provincial Park. It was great to meet lots of fellow photographers and take the time to take lots of shots of some new landscape. Although fall colours are still stellar in the city and even around Cheltenham, just a few kilometres further North, the large majority of the trees had already lost their leaves. So when we found Cataract Falls (located in Forks of the Credit Provincial Park) late in the day, I didn't hesitate switching to black & white as I thought the site had lots of interesting contrast and texture. If you look closely, you can spot of our group taking a shot from the lower level. Actually I missed her the first time through and is a nice example of one of the benefits of black & white - the effect of out of place elements or colourful distractions can be minimized. I especially liked the late afternoon shadows of the trees on the water. Taking black & white shots in-camera is still a little hit and miss with the the lack of control and I experiment a little with the filter choices on my D80, it this case I used a yellow filter.

No comments: