Saturday, October 30, 2010

Fire and ashes


Fire and ashes - #349/365, originally uploaded by PJMixer.
The weather has been turning a little cold this weekend, but we're resisting turning on the heat, so I thought a wood fire would add some festive heat for our Saturday night dinner. I've tried to take shots of fire a few times in the past and it is quite difficult to capture the colours and dynamics of the flames. This was much later in the evening when a lot of ash had formed undisturbed on the grate which I think adds some unusual texture.

I shot this hand held at 1/30th second and was pretty close to the fire (enough to feel my cheeks burning). The shot looks a little closer because I trimmed the shot in-camera. I also used a grey card to set the white balance properly (careful not to burn the card!).

No comments: