Sunday, July 05, 2020

More than a deleted Tweet and then some early thoughts in pandemic times

I began writing this back in May.  The background had familiar elements, I was feeling a little miserable, maybe sorry for myself for some stupid reason.  I had drafted a Tweet that I decided to delete.  I then had a glass of wine and enjoyed a wonderful dinner with my wife.  I fond some new music and we watched some YouTube faves and the new connections made everything alright. 

No. 1 - Tom Misch - can’t get enough of his groove and bits on YouTube are just what the doctor ordered.  
No. 2. Casey Niestat on Ashley Graham’s show - I’m a massive fan of Casey’s creations and loved the natural interview with the magnetic Ashley Graham.
No 3. Then my wife has a share moment.  Out of the blue - fantastic family friendly creativity from the Holderness family.  

I then went out to walk my dog, Kooper.  A few ideas came to mind:

a) what’s the first thing you want to do after the lockdown begins to relax?  We all have things we miss and can imagine that time, but my flowchart decision point is time - how quickly you can you answer that question.  I’d argue that the people most affected by this global pandemic wouldn’t hesitate with their answer.  But perhaps for some, they would hesitate, contemplate their options and reveal something about themselves in this weird time.  This isn’t so bad for some of us that have the comforts of home and someone close to share things with.

b) Kooper.  My dog.  He has no idea what’s going on.  He’s perhaps a little confused why we’re home all the time, but except for some weird distancing going on on the street, life’s pretty good.  He’s good with the day-to-day ritual, the closeness of family and simple pleasures.  We can learn a lot from dogs like Kooper.

c) When Harry Met Sally is our favourite movie.  There’s a bit in there when Sally talks about the freedoms she’ll enjoy with her boyfriend without the burdens of kids.  It came to me tonight on the dog walk.  We’re all envisioning that day when we’re all free from this lockdown.  But in reality, for many of us, what will be that drastically improved.  Sure, we’ll get to shop for things we perhaps don’t need, we’ll enjoy (and pay heavily) for dinner and a night out with friends, we’ll risk going on the subway to a concert and we’ll be able sweat it out at the gym or on the ultimate field.  But for some of us, perhaps older folk, the best parts of the day are sitting in the living room discussing world problems with the one(s) you love.  We have that now.  Enjoy it.

No comments: