Friday, October 26, 2007

I think Canada may be a little too focused on hockey


For those not close to the current sports setting in North America right now, the biggest event currently happening is the World Series. Game 2 was last night.

Now I'm not a
big baseball fan, but as stated on previously occasions, I can get pretty interested and excited about the finals of almost any sport (ok, maybe not curling).

I'm also not a huge fan of hockey, sure I'll watch the Leafs play now and again in the regular season (painful as that might be) or when local rivalries occur against Ottawa or Montreal. And of course, I get excited following the months of playoffs in the spring.

Canada as a whole has a very diverse population and I'd assume any sports fan would have their home sports, their new city interests and pay attention to the big sports events happening across any world, especially those in North America.


With all that context, I must say I've been surprised at the priority of sports coverage here over the last 18 hours.
After my ultimate game a few of us went to a local sports bar for a beer and something to eat. We walked into the relatively busy bar and every TV I could see was showing the Leafs v Pittsburgh game (and the volume was very high). I did glimpse a TV showing the baseball game in another room later on in the evening. The Leafs actually scored a lot of goals last night, but interestingly the folks at the bar didn't appear to get that excited. I went home and watched a few innings of the baseball game, but got a little sleepy around 11 and headed off to bed. This morning I get up and I'm looking for the highlights. It's 7:50ish, ok, I'll wait to the top-of-the-hour...ok, missed 8:00 but I switch on the TV at 8:03 and TSN is already wrapping it up and moving on to the Leafs game (which is still continuing when I give up). Come on people, don't you think you need to spend a little more time on the biggest sporting event in North America ?

I get into the office the morning...um, I wonder what the Canadian web sites look like, phew...turns out baseball is story one on most sites, and #2 on CBC and The Star (not surprisingly).

No comments: