Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The other football

This blog topic came up quite a few weeks ago when I had the oh-so-familiar discussion regarding the merits of football (soccer) in world sport today. You've heard a lot of my views on this in the past, but let's sum up by saying football is such a great sport because of the physical demands, the dexterous skill level, the ebb-and-flow of the attack, control and defense, the difficulty in scoring and last, but no means least, the passion and history of the world's teams and their fans.

The discussion was with a Californian who loves football (American Football). paraphrasing his argument and my post-thinking - football is the ideal TV sport - short sound bites, lots of time for replays and commercials, but most of all, every play is a mini drama. In soccer, the excitement of a near miss, a hard or controversial tackle, a big save, a penalty or a goal is obvious. In North American football you are almost guaranteed one of these types of exciting plays in every snap of the ball !
(On a side note, there's even some new technology available that condenses the football game to even smaller gobble sizes, see Cyberlink MagicSports.)

I haven't watched a lot of American Football yet this season, but each time I do, I try to watch it from this new perspective and it may make sense and it may even be enhancing the viewing experience. I do like football, but I've only been a big fan of the big games (post-season, college bowl games etc.) in the past. If I'm looking for new reasons to enjoy TV sports (especially in HD), this may be one of them.


On a related note and why I chose to complete this blog this morning is my son's victory in their semi final conference game yesterday. Before you ask, this is touch football (no tackling), but the elements on yardage gains, passing patterns and 3-down strategies (Canadian rules) all apply. Yesterday's game was also a fall classic as it was played in pouring rain on a soaked field against a formidable opponent. There were big plays (including a fabulous 20 yard gain by my boy), big hearted defense and must-make intensities. It was absolutely fantastic. I love this game.


Now if only the Detroit Lions could put a few more wins together.

No comments: