Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A small step for peace in the Middle East ?

Don't worry, I'm not going to try and give you any educated comments about the chances of long term success from the peace conference being hosted by Mr. Bush in Annapolis. Whenever potential milestones make front page news, I try my best to understand the details and also see the big picture. But, man, the politics of The Middle East is almost as complicated as trying to understand how to install Citrix Access Gateway Advanced Edition (don't ask).

So I just thought I'd pick a few items that got my attention in the paper today.
1. In the Post Editorial "From Annapolis, a whiff of hope" I liked the last paragraph:
As unfashionable as it may be for jaded observers to express any optimism about the Middle East, we find ourselves heartened by events in Annapolis. Give Messrs. Bush, Olmert and Abbas this much credit: Thanks to their performance in front of the cameras, the world seems a slightly safer place now than it was 24 hours ago.
2. In Letter of the day "Israel has little to gain at Annapolis", I couldn't help but feel discouraged that this man is just so negative, the last two sentences seem to summarize his views:
There really is no choice but to confront the jihadi evil sooner rather than later. The alternative is a greater war within a decade.
I hope I can safely say that I feel that it's better to at least continue to try and settle this dispute, no matter how painful the compromise. Doesn't some optimism and faith help take us closer to the end goal of peace more than ongoing intolerance.

No comments: