Sunday, November 18, 2007

Supporting Houston and Israel


It was the MLS cup final this afternoon. After watching a good junk of TFC's games and beginning to appreciate having a professional football league here in North America, I thought I'd watch the last few games of the season. I watched the western semi-final last weekend and chose to cheer on Houston because of their two Canadian stars - goalie Pat Onstad and striker, and local lad Dwayne De Resario. De Resario had a great goal to clinch the semi and then he won it in the final this afternoon with a fantastic header. Meanwhile, Onstad had a game saving point plank block late in the game. Let's hope these guys can help Canada make some moves in the World cup qualifiers.

Yesterday, I was cheering on Israel as they pulled out a miracle and beat Russia in Euro qualifying to give England a chance to advance when they play Croatia on Wednesday.

It goes to prove how excitement in sport can be created by crafting some meaning in a game where you don't immediately have a local team to cheer for. I love it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well England are out. Quite deservedly. And the Coach has been fired. Quite deservedly.

I went into the match reconciled that England were extremely lucky to be in with a chance of getting through to the finals. So wasn't gutted at all to have us dumped out.

England fans/players/management need to realise that we are not the best. I hope that we lose a few more games to get us to rock-bottom. Not a sour comment, but a genuine hope that England can learn from defeat.

Dink.

PS. I'm currently going to lasso lessons. Don't know how I got roped into that.

PJMixer said...

Jumped on the news pretty quick this morning Dink !

I wasn't sure whether to write about it, but I agree whole heartedly with your comments.

I had some fun joining up with Dad and Suzanne online via an internet chat session to comment on the live text commentary !