Thursday, April 13, 2006

Family


Well, that's a big very big topic. But it was suggested by a regular reader earlier today, so I'm just about in the right frame of mind to try and make sense of it...so, let's give it a go [but first a change of music - some mellow electronica].

As they say, you don't pick your family. In-laws ? Well, you kind of pick them ! From Hollywood influence and advice from friends, I think most people have caught on to this one. Have a good look at your spouse's family before you make the commitment. It's true,we are just like our parents ! And looking now to myself and my family, it really is true.


Some of you know my parents and some of you know my in-laws. They are not only close at heart, but are truly part of everything in my life today.
Wow, that's a pretty big statement, maybe I should have written it in caps ?

This is probably a start of a very long posting about family, but I'm trying to tackle the essence...


I'm beginning to dislike a habit I have of writing on this blog based on inspirations from film, however it probably fits here
. I watched a movie last night that twisted on the family connection quite well. It boiled down almost to a spiritual level - the bond of parent to child (well actually, mother to child, but I'm extrapolating here).

So, let me try and wrap my arms around this...


Family. An intense experience with and feeling for people you share intimate connections with, but who are often so different, if you had the disconnected opportunity, people you'd never become friends with.


Think back to your early twenties. A time when most of us were carefree, without spouses and children, who were the people most close to us ? Our friends.


Then...things change. We begin families of our own and we begin to see (again) the importance of family. The extended family becomes an extremely important relationship in our lives and we teach the value of family to our children.


Family will always be there. Good and bad. Hopefully for most of us, good. The connections we share with blood relatives and the extended family do not really falter on differences of opinion or priorities, they last, through thick and thin. They have to, otherwise there are only the people you bump into through life's journey, at school, at work, at the bar. Those relationships seem so fragile and unpredictable compared to that of family.


It takes a pretty serious argument to sever connections with family members, think of how many friendships could withstand the same arguments you've had with family !


Ok, I've rambled long enough. I'm not sure if any of that made sense. Hopefully a few things connected. However my habit of trying to make sweeping grand statements may have pissed off a few friends. Sorry, that's just how I feel right now.


G'nite.

Photo from the M.I.L.K. Collection -
www.milkphotos.com

No comments: