Thursday, April 13, 2006

Keep coming back to the music

All it takes is a little existential observation to see your true passion.

Back here at the keyboard, trying to come up with some deep insights into life...but before the brain synapses start connecting (for me) I need a little music to background the moment.


This is when you think you're some kind of junkie, not of some illegal chemical (or natural) substance, but of your passion. The Music.


I'm happy here. Sitting here, composing some rambling monologue about nothing up to this point, as long as I've got some music groovin' in the background. Pause...need a beer refill...


[just popped downstairs for the rePhil and 'Zan is excited about some change in plot on Survivor, "it's going to change", she says, I say "is it going to have a better soundtrack ?"]


Back to the moment.
Matisyahu is playing right now, you couldn't imagine a more weird mix - orthodox Jewish reggae / dancehall singer...

So, I've watched some decent movies over the last week or so, but I'm finding movies still don't hold up to repetition (for me). And for me, if I can predictably reproduce "the moment", I'm a happy guy. Movies are a great catalyst for "the moment" or "the mood", but they rarely don't work a second time around. Music, well, that's a completely different story.


And it's not just 'cuz it's an audio experience rather than a visual, 'cuz I can watch a musical performance over and over ! I never get tired of a great U2 song replayed from the
fantastic concert DVDs they produce, or sitting back and absorbing a Diana Krall performance, nor can I wait for the DVD of the Coldplay concert from the Toronto appearances last month, and that's why I didn't hesitate picking up the Gorillaz Demon Days live DVD at HMV on the way home tonight.

So, I'm still here listening now to UB40 (keeping with the reggae genre), wondering where to go from here...and I'm beached, for now...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are Catlow a known entity in Canada? I didn't recognise Natasha Thirsk at all, but Catlow supported the Blue Aeroplanes (adopt Waynes World voice) ('excellent') the other week in London.

Good enough gig ...... though I don't get out enough to warrant me grading this one. It will probably be the only gig I go to this year.



dink.

PJMixer said...

I took a quick listen dink, not an immediate warm buzz, but I'll check it out a little deeper sometime soon.

Who did Natasha Thirsk sing with ? I couldn't read the creative script font !

Thanks for the recommendation - always welcome.