Friday, June 04, 2010

Dave

During the work week, I usually take pictures at lunch or after work. Today, I was pretty engrossed in my book on the subway and I missed my stop (by 2 stops). I was quite early, so I decided to walk back to the office and grab a few shots. At Yonge Dundas Square they were just kicking off an Ontario tourism day so they plenty of interesting people about. I spotted Dave dressed and his colleagues dressed in their period costumes and thought he'd be a perfect stranger for my project.

Dave has worked at Upper Canada Village in Morrisburg, Ontario for about 20 years. He does demonstrations as a tinsmith and is historic interpreter. I really like that term - they have summer camps for kids to become interpreters a the village, dressing in period clothes and portraying life in the 1860's. I'd like to visit the village one day and their winter setup sounds really nice with hundreds of fairy lights and an ice rink.

Talking to Dave, it was as if he'd stepped out of a history book. Outside of his life as an interpreter, Dave is a sheet metal worker. I wonder how many other trade skills have lasted over 100 hundred years !

As it was early in the day, the light was much better (even though it was still quite bright) so this shot was relatively easy to expose correctly without any post processing help.

Dave is also #57 in my 100 strangers project.

No comments: