Wednesday, October 05, 2005

FIFA world cup qualifying analysis

[warning - big bias here on England as opposed to any other world soccer power]

Timely ? Definitely. Bringing you up to date (in case you're not on-the-ball), all remaining 2006 World Cup qualifying games are wrapping up on October 12th with teams having 2 or 2 games remaining.

Of course, my attention is squarely on England who find themselves in familiar dodgey territory. The qualifying rules for the world cup are massively complex, but let me see if I can make this simple, in England's case...

Bloody win !

Ok, seriously...looking at European Group 6, England can still win the group and they are guaranteed at least a 2nd place spot. If we win our last 2 games - great, we're on our way to Germany. If we tie a game we need to grab a friendly Swede or Hungarian and hope they keep Croatia honest, otherwise we may be sweating it out in a playoff rather than an auto best-2nd-place spot in Germany. If we lose a game then we're not going to get much done next week because there will be a lot of other footy games that matter, incl. the blokes from France, Slovakia, Russia and Turkey who, I'm sure, will start to get really annoying ! It we only manage a couple of ties or ... (I can't even bring myself to write it)...then we're definitely looking at some pressure packed extra footy in months to come.

Got it ? I hope someone is double-checking my calculations here !

Eng-ger-land

See you at the pub.


No comments: